St. Luke the Evangelist was founded in 2002 by local families to provide a pan-Orthodox Christian witness to the east side of the greater Cleveland metropolitan area. With over two dozen Orthodox parishes in the Cleveland metropolitan area, almost all of them are located either in central Cleveland or on the West side.
Until early 2019, St. Luke met at various rented locations. During that time, St. Luke evolved from being a "Sunday Liturgy only" community. to offering a full cycle of liturgical services and activities. Even with this expansion in activity, the parish was limited by the constraints of working out of rented space, often shared with other tenants.
In winter 2019, St. Luke purchased its current building and property. The building and 12-acre property was the original location of Holy Angels Catholic Church.
St. Luke began offering its services in the new building during Palm Sunday, Holy Week, & Pascha 2019.
Our current plans call for continued renovations and beautification of the building, establishing a permanent presence as an Orthodox Church, and the numerical growth of the parish membership. Long-term plans call for eventually building a larger church.
(updated December 2023)
- To worship God the Father and His Only-Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, and His Holy Spirit, in the Faith and Tradition of the Holy Orthodox Catholic and Apostolic Church.
- To bear witness in deed and in word to Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and to the Holy Orthodox Christian Faith, to people of all races, heritage, or religious opinion who will hear the truth.
- To worship under the canonical authority and archpastoral direction of the Primate of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, and his designated bishops, priests, and deacons.
- To establish a worshipping Orthodox Christian community in the four-county area of southeast Cuyahoga, southwest Geauga, northwest Portage, and northeast Summit counties, Ohio.
- To serve each other and our local community with Christian love and dedication according to the commandments of the Lord Jesus Christ and as much as lies within our ability, to reach out to the whole world in his Name.
All services at 18046 Chillicothe Rd/Hwy 306 in Bainbridge, OH, 44023.